If you have eczema, then you know how challenging it can be to keep your skin healthy and comfortable. This chronic skin condition can show up during childhood and persist into adulthood. At Florida Westcoast Skin and Cancer Center of Tampa, Florida, Dr. Michael Scannon and his associates regularly work with both men and women in the area who have been diagnosed with eczema and provide them recommendations to successfully manage the condition with time.
Here are a few tips from dermatologists that can help you manage your eczema:
- Keep your skin moisturized. Moisturizing your skin is one of the most important things you can do to manage eczema. Use a moisturizer immediately after bathing to help lock in moisture.
- Avoid irritants and allergens. Be aware of what triggers your eczema flares and try to avoid them. Common triggers include certain soaps, detergents, and fabrics.
- Use gentle cleansing products. When washing your skin, use gentle cleansers instead of soap.
- Avoid scrubbing your skin, which can irritate it, and when you dry your face after cleansing, be sure to pat dry and not rub the skin.
- Don’t scratch. It can be tempting to scratch your itch but resist the urge. Scratching can damage your skin and make your eczema worse. It can also cause open sores, which can be susceptible to bacteria and can cause an infection of the skin.
- Apply medication as prescribed. If you’re using a topical medication for your eczema, be sure to apply it as directed by your provider. Some over-the-counter products may also help in keeping the skin hydrated and moisturized to avoid dryness.
By following these tips and recommendations from our team, you can help keep your eczema under control and improve your quality of life!
How do I connect with a dermatologist who can help?
If you have eczema and find that the above solutions are still leaving you itching and scratching, a consultation visit with a dermatologist may be in order. Dr. Michael Scannon and his team at Florida Westcoast Skin and Cancer Center encourage you to call his office at 813-877-4811 to request an appointment and learn more about this and other skin conditions that may be causing discomfort and problems.